OMG! I’m so proud of the students and staff at SCC Middle School! Everyone really took on the One School One Book program with a vengeance 1st trimester. Not only did most of the school read Odd, Weird, and Little, but there were also 185 reviews added for the book in Destiny Discover!
So without further ado, it’s time to announce the random winners for 1st trimester chosen from those who wrote a review: Congratulations to Mitchell Toske, Elizabeth Meyers, Curtice Niemeyer, and Eva Spitzmueller! They will each receive a Visa gift card for $50 in the next few weeks. You are awesome! But really we all got read an amazing book, so we are all winners!
For 2nd trimester, we are mixing it up and doing One School One Author! There are 9 titles for the author Laurel Snyder available in Destiny Discover and the library. Students are encouraged to read her books and write a review in Destiny Discover. Why Laurel Snyder you might ask? Well, she is going to visiting SCC in April and I thought it would be good if everyone in the school had read at least one of her books. That way you will know what she is talking about when she visits!
If you have any questions, please just let me know!
~ Ms. Olson ~
Laurel Snyder’s Books for 2nd Trimester
- Swan : The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova --- Tells how Anna Pavlova began her journey of becoming a famous prima ballerina.
- Charlie & Mouse --- Charlie and Mouse, two young brothers, enjoy a day out together, attending an imaginary party and collecting rocks.
- Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy --- Brothers Charlie and Mouse enjoy a special visit from Grumpy.
- Bigger Than a Bread Box --- Devastated when her parents separate, twelve-year-old Rebecca must move with her mother from Baltimore to Gran's house in Atlanta, where Rebecca discovers an old breadbox with the power to grant any wish--so long as the wished-for thing fits in the breadbox.
- Seven Stories Up --- In 1987, while her mother sits in a Baltimore hotel at the deathbed of a grandmother twelve-year old Annie never knew, Annie travels back fifty years and shares adventures with the lonely girl who will grow up to be her feisty grandmother.
- Orphan Island --- A group of orphans wait each year for a boat to arrive on the island, replacing the eldest with the youngest, never to be seen again, as each remaining child child learns what it means to say goodbye to childhood forever.
- Any Which Wall --- In the middle of an Iowa cornfield, four children find a magic wa ll that enables them to travel through time and space.
- Penny Dreadful --- When her father suddenly quits his job, the almost-ten-year-old , friendless Penny and her neglectful parents leave their privileged life in the city for a ramshackle property in the eccentric town of Thrush Junction, Tennessee.
- Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains, or, The Search for a Suitable Princess--- Lucy, a milkmaid, and her best friend Wynston, a reluctant prince, go in search of information about Lucy's missing mother--even though Wynston is supposed to be searching for a proper princess to marry.