Applying for an Exception to the Open Enrollment Application Period

What is an exception to the open enrollment application period?
Parents normally apply for open enrollment for the following school year during a three-month application period which begins in February and ends on the last weekday in April. However, 2011 Act 114 established a procedure by which parents may apply for open enrollment outside of the regular application period.

Under what circumstances may parents apply for an exception?
There are seven circumstances under which a parent may apply for an exception:

  • The student's resident school district determines that the student is a victim of a violent crime.
  • The student is or has been homeless in the current or preceding school year.
  • The student has been the victim of repeated bullying or harassment that has been reported to the resident school district and continues in spite of action taken.
  • The student's place of residence has changed due to the parent's military orders.
  • The student moved into this state within the past 30 days.
  • The student's place of residence has changed as a result of a court order or custody agreement, or the student was placed in a foster home or with a person other than the student's parent, or removed from a foster home or the home of a person other than the student's parent.
  • The student's parents and the nonresident and resident school districts agree that attending the nonresident school district is in the best interests of the student.

For more information, including an PI-9421 Exceptions Application form, please click on the links at the bottom of this page.

If you need more information, please contact Tammy Merth, Open Enrollment Coordinator, St. Croix Central School District at 715-796-5383 extension 1186 or email at tmerth@scc.k12.wi.us.

You may apply for OPEN ENROLLMENT from FEBRUARY 1 to April 30, 2021.
Legislation has extend the application period from 3 weeks to 3 months.

What is Public School Open Enrollment?
Wisconsin's inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.

How and when may parents apply?
The open enrollment application period for the 2021-22 school year is February 1 to April 30, 2021. The application period closes at 4:00 p.m. on April 30, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.

Full-Time Inter-District Public School Open Enrollment in Wisconsin
The Open Enrollment application period for the 2021-222 school year is February 1 to April 30, 2021. On-line application is recommended. You may apply on-line at: https://dpi.wi.gov/oe from February 1, 2021, until 4:00 p.m. April 30, 2021. On-line application will be made available in the St. Croix Central High School Office during the application period. The SCC High School Office is located at 1751 Broadway Street, Hammond, Wisconsin.

Students who have already been accepted as open enrollment students do not have to reapply. Students who are presently enrolled under Tuition Waiver Status do have to apply. The resident school district is the district where the student will reside in the 2021-22 school year. The non-resident school district is the district the student wants to attend in the 2021-22 school year.

To take part in the open enrollment process please note the following dates and steps which have to be followed.

Important open enrollment dates

February 1 - April 30, 2021 Parents must submit applications online or directly to the nonresident school district.

June 11, 2021 – Nonresident school districts must send notices of approval or denial via US mail or email. If the application is approved, the school district must notify the parents of the specific school or program to which the pupil is assigned. If the application is denied, parents have 30 days to file an appeal.

June 18, 2021 – Resident districts must notify applicants if the application is denied. If the application is denied, parents have 30 days to file an appeal.

June 25, 2021 – Parents of accepted applicants must notify the nonresident district if the pupil will attend the nonresident district in the 2021-22 school year. If the parent fails to make this notification, the nonresident district may refuse to allow the pupil to attend the district.

For more information or a paper application, please call Tammy Merth at 715-796-5383 ext. 1186.

Complete Open Enrollment application directions are included on the DPI website link. The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction can be reached toll-free at 1-888-245-2732.